Kadhi has various versions, depending on the region. Some make it with onion pakora (onion fritters), plain pakoras or just add some readymade boondi if you don’t have time.
It’s strange as a kid I didn’t like yogurt much, but I liked anything made from yogurt, whether it’s Dahi Aaloo(Yoghurt Potato), Curd Rice or the famous Kadhi.
I was always fond of Kadhi because of its tangy flavour. When I moved to Pune for my Fashion Designing, I had few Sindhi friends (people who have origins in the valley of Sindh – now a part of Pakistan). Sometimes they used to get Kadhi- Rice for lunch & first time I saw vegetables in Kadhi instead of Pakora. I tasted it and loved it but never tried to make it. After many years, a friend’s dad happened to be in Dubai & he made his famous Sindhi Kadhi – it was love all over again!
So credit for the recipe goes to a friend – Richa’s Dad with few tweaks from me. I am sure you will love it as I did. It is healthy yet comfort and soul touching food.
Warning: Make it when you are off from work as after eating it you will be lulled to sleep specially if you have it with rice.
Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Recipe Level: Easy to Intermediate
Spice Level: Medium
Serves: 5-6 People
Shelf Life: 2-3 days if refrigerated
Serving Suggestion: With plain rice or with Jeera Rice or with roti or paratha. Kadhi should be Piping hot.
1 Heavy Bottom Deep Pan
- 1 Potato -cut into cubes (medium size)
- 1 Cup beans- cut into small pcs
- ½ Cup carrot
- ½ Cup cauliflower
- 2 Small brinjal
- 2 cup spinach
- 5-6 Lady fingers -cut into halves lengthwise
- 1 Medium Tomato- cut into 1 inch size
- 1 Medium onion – sliced length wise
- 7-8 finely chopped Garlic
- 2-3 Green chilli- sliced into halves
- 2 Cups sour yoghurt
- 2 ½ Tbsp Besan/Gram flour/ Chickpea flour
- 1tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Heeng/ Aesotifeda
- 1 tsp Jeera/ Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds
- 6-7 whole black pepper
- 5-6 Laung/Clove
- 2 Big Elachi/ Balck Cardamom
- 2 Tej Patta/Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Haldi/Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (Adjust as per taste)
- 1 ½ tbsp Salt (Adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee
YOGURT-BESAN (GRAM FLOUR MIXTURE) – Add Sour Yogurt & Beasn & whisk it in a mixer. Add 2-3 cups Water & mix it again. It should be smooth & lump free
CHOP & STEAM VEGETABLES – Wash & Cut all veggies into medium size. In a pressure cooker add all above veggies except Brinjal & Lady Finger (they can cook in 30 min along with cooking kadhi) & give 1 whistle without adding water.
- Take a heavy bottom deep pan & add 1 tbsp oil & bring to heating point.
- Add garlic, in 30 sec add aestofida, cumin seeds, methi seeds, black pepper, clove, big cardamom & bay leaf. When you see it is roasted (60-90 sec). add onion.
- After onion becomes little soft, add 1 cup water just to bring the mixture temperature same as yogurt mixture & then add yogurt-besan mixture & stir.
- If you feel mixture is thick- you can add more water.
- After 3-4 min, add all vegetables, spinach, tomato, slit green chilli, turmeric, salt, chilli powder, dhaniya powder.
- Let it cook on medium flame for 30mins. Keep stirring every 2-3 mins.
- Once done, make the tempering- heat 2 tbsp Ghee, add ½ tsp aestofida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds & red dry chilly a dress the kadhi just before serving.
- To make yummy kadhi, yogurt should be sour. I keep the yogurt outside in room temperature a day before making the kadhi. Alternatively, if you are short of time or if the yogurt is not sour, you can add amchur/ dry mango powder.
- Star ingredient -gram flour should be of best quality,
- You can add & subtract qty of any vegetable as per your choice or availability.
- If while cooking you feel consistency of kadhi is thick, add some hot water. Add salt if required.
- You can fry/roast some papad. It gives a nice crunch while eating kadhi with roti or rice.