PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
What do you bake when you have a mid week friends birthday ?If I had to describe Shweta as a fruit, it would definitely be the “Pineapple”- stands tall, wears a crown and is sweet on the inside and hence the inspiration to do a pineapple upside down cake for her birthday, which is today. Happy B’day Shweta!! May all your wishes come true today and always!
The cake is simple yet elegant and looks fabulous plated up!!
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Baking Time: 40 mins
- Recipe Level: Easy to Intermediate
- Serves: -6-8 People
- Shelf Life: 2-3 days if refrigerated
- Serving Suggestion: Serve as is or whipped cream on side
UTENSILS & EQUIPMENT:
- 9″ Round / Square Cake Mould
- 1 small size Pan
- 1 big & 1 medium mixing bowls
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Electric hand Mixer / Whisk
- Off-set spatula
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can Pineapple Rings
- 8 to 10 maraschino cherries (Optional- I didn’t have so didn’t put)
For Cake Batter
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp salt (Avoid if using salted butter)
- 3 large eggs – seperated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- Prepare the Cake Pan & Preheat the oven to 180-degree C (355 degrees F)
- Separate egg white and yolk
- Brush the cake pan with oil& set aside
- Melt the butter and sugar in a small frying pan over medium heat. The mixture is done when the sugar is bubbly and slightly browner. Pour it in cake pan & spread all over the base evenly & let it cool slightly
- Arrange pineapple slices & cherries in the cake pan by placing one ring at the centre & rest all around it. Cherries at the centre of each ring. Leave it & prepare the cake batter.
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder & salt together & keep aside
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until they hold a firm peak.
- Add sugar gradually to egg whites & keep beating till sugar becomes homogenous with egg whites.
- Add yolk one by one & keep beating.
- Now add oil, beat for 30 sec, add milk & beat for another 30 sec. Finally add vanilla essence & mix with spatula.
- Add Dry mixture slowly by spoon mixing with light hands. Mix in one direction only.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan & smoothen the top with the spatula
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes (insert a toothpick into the cake & if it comes out clean, its done)
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and then invert the cake onto your serving plate.
- Drain the pineapple from can & pat dry with paper towel before placing on sugar mixture in cake pan.
- Cool the cake slightly before removing from the pan. It won’t come out clean if you hurry.