I came up with this recipe after returning from a long holiday in India, with a pretty much empty fridge staring at me and too tired and lazy to go out, indeed ‘Necessity is the mother of invention’.
This is a spin on my favourite dip – the good old lovable hummus! Here, I have replaced the garlic with ginger as I don’t particularly enjoy the taste of raw garlic in my mouth, early in the morning. I have made it many times since then and the girls love pulsing the beans till it purees beautifully. Spoon on a toasted piece of gluten free bread and its yummilicous. It has a lovely fresh green color, buttery texture and beautiful flavours. It is high on protein, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, nut free and packed with nutrients – doesn’t get better! Enjoy it as dip or a sandwich filling.
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins
Recipe Level: Easy
Spice Level: Medium
Serves: 4 People
Shelf Life: 2-3 days if refrigerated in air tight container
Serving Suggestion: With oat bread, rice crackers or vegetable crudités
A saucepan, colander, food processor, serving dish chopping board and knife
1 tbsp tahini
1tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4inch small ginger minced (can be replaced by 1 clove crushed garlic)
1 cups shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 cup warm water
- Handful of coriander – chopped
- Handful of sprouts
- Julienne ginger
- Julienne beetroot
- Sliced red radish
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- Steam the edamame (you can use fresh or frozen) and drain well.
- Add the edamame, tahini, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt to a food processor.
- Slowly add the warm water, blend the edamame hummus until smooth.
- Add more water to reach your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice as desired.
- Let cool completely before refrigerating.
- I dressed my edamame hummus on toast in two ways: one with sprouts and julienne of ginger and beetroot and the other with slices of red radish and cherry tomatoes with an extra dash of lemon and red chili flakes.