I am a vegetarian but I would lie if I would say I have never drooled upon non-vegetarian dishes, especially those mutton kebabs & tikkas. I have had friends who would enjoy their kebabs & I would eat my potato cutlet. But here is a recipe which taste just like mutton kebabs. Trust me my non-vegetarian friends also enjoy it as much as I do. This was first introduced to me by my dear friend Megha’s mom who is one of the greatest cook I know. Thank you aunty- Neelam Chowdhary.
Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Recipe Level: Intermediate
Spice Level: Medium
Serves: 3-4 People
Shelf Life: 2 days if refrigerated
Serving Suggestion: Serve with green chutney as a snack or a starter.
Dietary: Vegetarian, Vegan, Healthy, Gluten free, Nut free
1 Flat pan/Tawa
1 Medium size boiled potato
1 Cup boiled Chickpea
2 tbsp Chickpea powder
½ Cup crushed soya
1 Finely chopped onion
½ tsp grated ginger
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
1 tsp Garam masala
½ tsp Cinnamon powder
1 tbsp Dhaniya/Coriander Powder
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (Adjust as per taste)
1 ½ tbsp salt (adjust as per taste)
CHICKPEA – Soak chickpea or Brown Chana overnight & boil it in a pressure cooker.
POTATO – Boil it & mash it
- In an electric mixer mash boiled chickpea.
- In a bowl, mix mashed chickpea, mashed potato, crushed soya crumbs, all spices.
- Make desired shape patty & shallow fry on a pan rubbing oil with a brush on both sides
- You can use any form of Chana- Brown or Kabuli Chana
- If the mixture is too dry, add little water
- If you have time instead of adding readymade spices, grind roasted dry spices (2 cloves,4 black pepper, 1big cardamom, 1tbsp coriander seeds, 1dry red chillies) & add for more flavour.
- If you want to bake them, pre heat oven at 180 degree Celsius. Brush both sides of each patty with oil, place on baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Flip patties and bake another side for 8 to 10 minutes until firm and golden brown.
- For a large gathering, make these in advance & re-heat for 10 min in a pre-heated oven.