Vegan & Gluten Free Gnocchi – toasted
I am a big fan of Italian food, I think I perhaps was one in my previous life. There is a lot of similarities between Indian and Italian cuisines – What I like is the concept of eating fresh food and like the way recipes are handed down from generation to generation and the grandma’s secrets that are kept in the family. This is here a gluten-free vegan version, my kids love batata in every form and shape, so it goes without saying that they jus can’t get enough of it! This one is a pure hit with in its clean flavor and humble form. Bon Apetito!
Prep Time: 25 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Recipe Level: Easy
Spice Level: Mild
Shelf Life: Eat fresh. Refrigerate upto 2 days
Serving Suggestion: With green salad
A sauce pan, fry pan, sieve spoon, grater, fork, silicon mat, knife, food processor and serving plate
- 500 gms Potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 125gms rice flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1Tbsp Olive oil
- Sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat Oven 180 degrees.
- Roast the potatoes with a clove of garlic for 45-60mins (depending on size of potatoes).
- Peel and grate the potatoes.
- Mash the potato and garlic fine with a fork or whizz in food processor. Let it cool.
- Add salt, pepper and rice flour and knead well.
- Place a pot of water to boil.
- Roll out the potato dough into 1.5inch thick long cylindrical shapes
- Cut at a gap of 2inch to get individual pieces.
- Drop the pieces in the pot of boiling water.
- 10. Use a sieve to collect the pieces as they float to the top.
- 11. Lightly toast on the pan to prevent it from clumping.
- 12. Toast in butter butter and rosemary before serving. Sprinkle parmesan, enjoy!
- I roast the gnocchi to keep water content to a minimum- this ensures a good texture, esp. as this is gluten free.
- All my fancy designs came undone in the water – note to self, don’t bother making designs on gluten free version.