Gingerbread cookies with a twist (date paste and orange zest)
Merry Christmas from our family to yours! Every year the girls and I bake cookies for Christmas, last year we did sugar cookies and dressed them with chocolate sauce and sprinkles, M&M’s etc; this year we decided on Gingerbread cookies but decided to make with our own amendments – introducing date paste to add on the local flavor from a place we have called home for over a decade. The girls did most of the work (as you will see in the video) and it makes me proud to see them take so much interest in the kitchen. Festivities are all about families!
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Recipe Level: Easy
Spice Level: Low
Serves: 30 cookies
Shelf Life: Refrigerate for unto a week
Serving Suggestion: With tea, coffee or milk
A bowl and electric mixer, silicon mat, rolling pin, baking tray, cookie cutters, cookie sheet and butter paper.
- 145g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 150g packed light or dark brown sugar
- 100g date paste – diluted with 50 ml hot water
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 437g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 inch grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whip butter, add sugar and beat till pale yellow in colour in a stand mixer.
- Add date paste and whip again.
- Add an egg and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the flour mixture little by little into the mixer. Mix well each time.
- The dough comes together, knead to make a ball.
- Split the ball into two halves and wrap with clingfilm. Chill for at least 8 hours.
- On a silicone mat, roll dough about 1/4inch thick.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
- 10. Gather the left over dough and roll again. Cut shapes. Repeat till all the dough is consumed.
- 11.Place the cut shapes on a tray lined with baking paper.
- 12. Place the tray in preheated oven and bake for 12-15minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
- 13. Remove from oven when the underside and edges is lightly brown.
- 14. Remove from tray and place them on a rack to cool.
- Adjust the spices to your kids taste