Bhutte Ka Kees or grated corn is a dish from Indore.
I never knew what was it till the first time I was introduced to it by my sis-in law(my brothers wife).
My brother is a foodie, I think he & I would be perfect combination to host a show where we have to travel different parts of the world & try different cuisines & recipes because he just loves eating.
He is one person who I know cannot eat any food. I mean food has to be tasty to be eaten. Growing up I have seen him being hungry the entire day, but he would not eat lauki even if my mother refuses to give any other food & at last she would make what he liked.
My poor sis in law tries different food at home so that he would atleast stop eating out & eat home food & I guess she has succeeded fairly.
Today’s recipe is dedicated to her.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Recipe Level: Easy to Intermediate
Spice Level: Low
Serves: 2 People
Shelf Life: Best to have fresh. Can be eaten upto 1 day if kept in cool temperature.
Serving Suggestion: Serve it as is with a cup of tea.
Dietry: Vegetarian, Gluten free, healthy,Nut free
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 Medium size chopped onion
- 1 small potato cut into small cubes
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup mil
- 1 twig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , as required (for garnish)
- 1 ½ tsp Salt (Adjust as per taste)
RICE – Grind corn kernels coarsely in a grinder added little milk or water
VEGETABLES – Cut all vegetables into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan & add hing & mustard seeds.
- Allow them to crackle & then add curry leaves, chopped ginger & fry for 30 sec.
- Add green chillies & onion & fry them for 1 min
- Add potatoes & salt & let them cook for 3-4 min with the lid on.
- Check if potatoes are 3/4 done, add corn mixture & turmeric & cover the lid to cook for 2-3 min.
- Check potatoes & corn must be done, add milk, sugar, coconut & mix well.
- Lastly, add lemon juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & coconut. Serve hot.
- You can make it with onion & potatoes as well, but would need more corn to increase the qty.
- Frozen corn & fresh corn, both can be used. Fresh corn is mostly sweet, so you can skip adding sugar.