Almond milk vegan kulfi (Ice cream)
This I bough a tetra pack of unsweetened Almond milk wanting to make the switch from cow’s milk, long story short – it never happened, and I was staring at a pack that would expire soon. Not intending to waste it, I decided to make kulfi (Indian Ice cream) – My elder daughter cannot eat nuts hence I was reluctant to use it to make something she would want and couldn’t have – mothers dilemma! Well, solved that one by buying her a store bought ice cream, don’t we all love our once in a while ice cream treats 🙂 The kulfi turned out amazing, I did not even have kulfi moulds so used little coffeee cups to freeze the same ensuring the cling film sat tightly on top preventing any ice formation.
Here’s a vegan, gluten-free and low on sugar kulfi aka icrecream.
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Recipe Level: Medium
Spice Level: Medium-High
Serves: 2 People
Shelf Life: Can be refrigerated for 2-3 days
Serving Suggestion: After meal dessert or mid morning weekend treat
A saucepan, spatula, blender, kulfi moulds.
- Almond Milk – 1 litre (no added sugar)
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Cashew – 20 nos
- Almonds – 20
- Slivered Almond – 2 tsp.
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – a pinch
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Saffron – few strands
- Rose water – 1 tsp
- Slivered Pistachio – 1 tbsp
- Boil water, add 20 almonds to it. Boil for 2 minutes. Cool and peel it after 2 minutes. Blend it to a smooth paste and Keep it aside.
- Heat the milk to a boil with saffron strands and rice flour. Simmer for 25 – 35 minutes till thickens.
- When it thickens, add the blended almond and heat for 2- 4 minutes.
- Add crushed almond, cahews, sugar, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and heat for two minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tsp of rice flour in 2 tsp of water. Add that in the mixture. It helps in thickening.
- When you think, it is totally thick and it is not liquid, switch off and cools completely.
- When it is cooled completely, add rose water and now blend it once more. This gives a perfect creamy texture.
- Keep it in refrigerator for an hour; this will help to not form ice crystals.
- Set in any containers you want, cover and freeze it. But traditionally kulfis are served in this special mould where the ice-cream is set.
- 10.Pour the ice-cream into individual kulfi mould and freeze till set. (for 6- 8 hrs)
- 11.Unmold the kulfi by placing it under running water for few seconds. Remove on a plate, slice the kulfi, garnish with slivered almonds, crushed pistachios and dried rose petals, serve immediately.