Chicken noodle Soup
It is nourishing and filling; It is my go-to comfort food; got cold/ feeling low and moopey/ the weather is depressing or am generally just run down. This is my sunshine and vitamin recharge in a cup, never ever fails to pick me up.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Recipe Level: Easy
Spice Level: Medium
Shelf Life: Eat fresh
Pressure pan, sauce pan, chopping board, knife and spatula.
- 1 skinless breast of chicken, boiled and shredded
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrots, chopped
- A handful of chopped beans
- 2 inch sliced root of ginger
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 peppercorns whole
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemon
- 1 mix vegetable low sodium Kallo stock cube or use homemade stock
- 1 pack of instant noodles (or pasta of choice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 cups water, more as needed
- Mix the kallo stock cube in hot water and boil the chicken in it on low heat for 8-10 minutes. Remove the chicken breast and transfer the cooked chicken to a plate, shred it after it cools
- Pour Olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, ginger and whole spices. Let the onions cook till translucent.
- Add carrots and beans. Cook, stirring every few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften; 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a low simmer. Taste the soup then adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir the noodles into the soup and cook until done, 6 to 8 minutes depending on the type of noodles used.
- Slide the chicken back into the pot and then taste the soup once more for seasoning. Adjust with more salt and pepper, as needed. Squeeze a bit of lemon on the soup.
- Stir in the coriander and serve.
- As the soup sits, the noodles soak up the soup broth and it becomes thicker. When reheating, add a splash of extra chicken stock or if you don’t have any, water.